Hydrogen storage opportunities
This map synthesises the final outcomes of the Hystories project. These data are based on the following sources:
- Porous media trap capacity data computation details are given in Hystories report D2.2-1_3D Multi-realization simulations for fluid flow and mixing issues. Please refer to it for methodological details.
- Levelized Cost Of Storage (LCOS) and Suitability mark details are given in Hystories report D7.3-1 – Ranking and selection of geological stores. Please refer to it for methodological details. Note that the LCOS values indicated on this map:
- are only valid for the fast and seasonal cycles considered (derived from D5.5-2), for the site-specific parameters, and the hypotheses taken. Different storage cycles would lead to different LCOS values.
- do not add to the production cost for the overall hydrogen demand, since storage applies to only 12.5 to 22.5% of it to equilibrate the overall hydrogen energy system (from D5.5-2)
- Porous media shapes and other attributes are given by Hystories’ Geological Geographical Information System, and details being given in Hystories D1.4-0 report. Please refer to it for details.
- Salt deposit shapes are displayed with the permission of SMRI and details are given in: Horváth, P.L., Mirau, S., Schneider, G.S., Bernhardt, H., Weiler, C., Bödeker, J., Wippich, M., Tangermann, T., Ratigan, J., 2018. Update of SMRI’s Compilation of Worldwide Salt Deposits and Salt Cavern Fields – SMRI Research Report U2017-5, April 2018.
- Hydrogen pipelines in 2030 and 2040 are displayed with the permission of the European Hydrogen Backbone initiative. Please note that the April 2023 version of the European Backbone is displayed and is not updated. Please refer to www.ehb.eu for the latest version.